Manic Pandemic

Oy with the poodles already?

Friday, June 09, 2006

Rebirth! Vive le Vegan!

So it's been a tough road trying to figure out what I can use this blog for. At last I have a reason! On Thursday I decided that I am going to become a vegan. I've been a vegetarian for 8 or 9 years (ovo-lacto) eating the occasional piece of bacon. Lately I've just felt funny eating cheese and eggs. So after consulting with my very reluctant boyfriend, I've decided to try it! See where it takes me and I'm taking you along for the ride too! Because with a new lifestyle comes trying things that are new! Anyone who knows me at all, knows that I am horrible for being a picky eater. I'm the worst kind of vegetarian because I'm afraid of most vegetables and terrified of tofu. So I'm trying. I will keep you updated on my adventures.

First up: Tonight was Friday night and I decided it should be pizza night! I had a long week at school and deserved some normal weekend treats. So Brad and I went a shoppin'! We got a nice pizza crust, some fake pepperoni, and some vegan soy mozzarella cheese. Now if you've ever touched this cheese you will know that it's soft and wet! A little sickening to look at and my beginners weak stomach didn't want to touch it, let alone eat it!

Luckily, BRAD TO THE RESCUE! Brad used to date a vegan and has some experience with this cheese. So while I sauced up the crust, Brad grated some of the cheese (he left the plastic around it so you didn't have to touch it!!! Genius) then I put the pepperoni on and then the cheese. Then I grated a little more cheese all by myself! It was sick and tasted disgusting but I did it nonetheless!

We stuck the pizza in the oven and let it cook!



We brought it out and it looked delicious! I cut it up into 4 and served it up!


Brad and I both enjoyed it, the cheese tasted good melted and we always love wholewheat crust! This will definately be a redoer, especially since I have another pizza crust and more cheese and pepperoni. A very good meal for our first experience with vegan cheese. Keep posted I purchased my first tofu today and will be making Brad some "welcome home from your first night shift" tofu french toast! YUM!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home